We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Click here to submit an application.
POSITION TITLE: Maintainer II
DEPARTMENT: Public Works/Highway
DIRECT REPORT: Highway Supervisor
DPW UNION: 40 hours per week
SALARY: $28.35 per hour
The Maintainer II under the general supervision of the Highway Supervisor performs a variety of moderate to heavy unskilled and semi-skilled diversified tasks related to the general maintenance of streets including snow plowing, bridges, public grounds, and facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs and must adhere to all work applicable Federal, State and Town safety regulations
- Preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment to include cleanliness, fuel, and grease
- Performs preventive maintenance tasks along with other general maintenance of streets, sidewalks, and public grounds
- Pick up bulk items for Dial-A-Dump Program
- Works on snow removal or emergency operations as necessary
- Knowledge of all highway functions including but not limited to: assist in repair and construction of guard rails, location of sandboxes, cleans gutters, clear snow and ice from streets, clean catch basins, shovels, piles, loads and spreads sand, stone, debris, snow and ice, sweeps garage or shop floors. Laying of pipes patching, and resurfacing roads.
- Tree work including removal, weeds, rakes, spades, cleans waterways or ditches, mows roadsides, fields
- Laborers must safely operate and maintain chain saws, power mowers, brush cutters, power grinders, brush chippers, compressors, jackhammers, rock drills, pavement breaker, power blowers, brooms, and other similar equipment. Laying pipes, patching resurfacing roads.
- May perform miscellaneous carpentry, concrete and masonry work or perform unskilled diversified tasks such as mixing concrete, loading and unloading blocks and other materials. Perform sign repair when designated.
- Is responsible for road flagging, as well as curb and lawn repair
- Assist in driving water trucks during machine sweeping, load trucks with appropriate machinery as needed.
- Acts as a maintainer #3 in the absence of that person
COMPETENCIES AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral or diagrammatic form
- Ability to lift and/or carry objects of medium to heavy weight
- Ability to work occasionally in extreme weather conditions including heat or cold with temperatures sufficiently high or low to cause marked or bodily discomfort
- Must possess at time of appointment and maintain as a condition of employment a valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle Driver’s License, Commercial Driver’s License, current medical card, and be able to safely operate a vehicle.
- A minimum of two years of related work experience required
- High school diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of the hazard and safety precautions of the trade
- Must wear all safety gear/equipment as required – Personal Protective Equipment
- Must be able to interact and work in a cohesive team environment
- Ability to read and interpret safety rules
- Communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to understand verbal and/or written instructions and follow them as directed.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
While performing the duties, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers to feel. Must have the ability to reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must understand and have the ability to use common laboring tools. Largely repetitive work with some variations in materials and procedures. Must be in good physical fitness, strength and stamina to perform required strenuous or heavy manual duties, and are expected to maintain such physical fitness to be able to perform the duties.
The employee must be able to climb ladders, work in confined spaces with proper training and equipment. The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. These requirements can be satisfied with appropriate prescription glasses/lenses. Occasionally lift 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing these duties, you will be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee must conform to all Occupational Safety and Health Act regulations. The employee is required to use safety protocols in the performance of their job to include safety vests, shoes, eye and hearing protection.
Responsible for assisting in snow storms by plowing roadways. Will report to General Foreman for direction and supervision. Applicants must have a CDL Class B license, and previous experience plowing roadways.
Hourly Rate: $28.35, no benefits, on call
Applications available at www.monroect.gov
POSITION TITLE: Accountant
REPORTS TO: WMNR General Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly; Unaffiliated; 10-15 Hours per week
APPROVED: Town Council Resolution #22-138, 10/24/2022
SALARY: $18.00 PER HOUR
Provide financial management to support WMNR radio station in all aspects of accounting, reporting and analysis, budgeting, forecasting and planning activities in collaboration with the Finance Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage monthly, quarterly and annual financial activity including: general ledger analysis, profit and loss and balance sheet analysis, accounts receivable, accounts payable, petty cash and bank reconciliation analyses.
- Analyze revenues and expenditures and prepare monthly reports.
- Prepare journal entries for month-end and year-end.
- Maintain accounts payable files, process incoming invoices for payment, creating purchase
requisitions and analyzing purchasing order balances.
- Review advertising logs, and prepare billings for accounts receivable.
- Review and analyze aged receivables and follow up with advertisers.
- Reconcile accounts receivable on a monthly basis.
- Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy and timeliness of results.
- Prepare profit & loss results to be reported at quarterly WMNR Commission meetings.
- Develop budget, forecasts and variance analysis for fiscal year.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash.
- Assist auditors in annual audits.
- Maintain cash flow and process transfers of cash when necessary.
- Prepare financial reports as requested.
- Degree in finance, accounting or equivalent demonstrated work experience.
- Proficient computer skills, especially in Excel. Willingness to learn specialized accounting software.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Organized, detailed orientated and able to multi-task.
- Ability to collaborate with other departments.
- Adhere to financial and purchasing policies and maintain sensitive information.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger movements, handle or feel objects, or controls; and must be able to lift and/or moves up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
POSITION TITLE: Office Aide
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation Department
REPORTS TO: Director of Parks & Recreation
CLASSIFICATION: Hourly; Unaffiliated; 19.5 Hours per week
UPDATED: May 2021
SALARY RANGE: $15.00 - $20.00 per hour
Assist in daily administrative duties of the Parks and Recreation Department to serve the needs
of the Town including recordkeeping, financial reports, registration, and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and coordinate Parks and Recreation Commission reports
• Recordkeeping, daily receipt handling and processing
• Coordinate data and reports for Great Hollow Lake and Lake Zoar boat launch
• Seasonal program registration management and processing
• Serve as office receptionist greeting the public and servicing requests
• Facilitate reservations and dispensing of department information and services
• Minimum of 2 years office experience or equivalent education
• Familiarity with cash accounting, parks and recreation terminology, computerized registration,
and basic computer software (Word, Excel, etc.)
• Data entry, report generation and computer skills
• Manipulation of data to generate reporting information
• Working knowledge of Publisher and other graphic design software
• Experience in customer service oriented office environment with high public traffic
• Excellent interpersonal skills
Work is generally performed while sitting in office environment, however may require some work at the parks . Some lifting of small equipment and forms is required. This position does not require heavy lifting on a regular basis; however, when working with the records retention archives, the individual may be required to lift boxes of approximately 20 pounds. Work environment may be subject to changing climate conditions.